Next in our series of common fire hazards is the appliances in your home. Did you know that heating equipment (like space heaters) are involved in 1 of every 6 home fires? Appliances are safe when used correctly, so here are some fire hazards to look out for:
- Keep everything that gives off heat at least 3 feet away from flammable materials or items.
- Don’t plug more than one heating appliance into the same outlet.
- Keep portable gas generators outside and away from windows to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- If you have a fireplace, be sure to have your chimney checked and cleaned once a year by a professional.
- Don’t leave fires (or candles) burning or heating appliances plugged in while you’re asleep, in another room, or when you’re not home.
- Clean the lint screen every time you use your dryer. Dryers are responsible for about 9 out of 10 appliance fires.